Friday, October 30, 2009

Ghosts of Halloweens Past: Part Two

Brace yourself for the next round of previous Halloween hauntings.

The Ghosts of Woody, Woody Two, and Jessie



2007 - We had so much fun doing this family costume theme. We got these pictures taken at Target since our regular Halloween pictures are usually dark.


Yes, there are two Woodys. Here's the story: I had told Marito a few years before that we should be Woody and Jessie. By the time we got around to it we had a kid. I really wanted Monkey One to be Woody, so I started planning. When Marito found out he said, "But I thought I was going to be Woody!" in such a sweet, sad way that I had to let them both be Woody. Who'd have thought that Marito even cared? I just think he's a good sport for letting me get him all dressed up in the first place. And by the way, here's the secret, I figure: If you make a big effort to make family theme costumes he won't want to (a) spoil it for everyone one and (b) waste all that time I spent sewing.


Here's the pattern I used for the shirts. I've found it's just as effective to make your own patterns from existing shirts, so this is the only time I've used the pattern.


2007 - Jessie detail. The yoke and cuffs are actually separate from the shirt. They just button on top of any white button-down. I love the cuffs, but I forgot to wear them for the Target pictures. I was so bummed when I realized. So here they are in their full glory on Halloween night. Cuffs, you shall not be forgotten! The faux Jessie chaps are just safety pinned to the front of my jeans. The Jessie pin is from Disneyland. I also got the boys Sheriff stars with their names from Frontierland.


2007 - It was impossible to find any variation of yellow and red plaid fabric that year. So I made my own. I used red Sharpies and a ruler to draw lines on plain yellow fabric. It worked pretty well!

The denim trick-or-treat back I made from a pair of Marito's old shorts. The Woody hat and holster came from the Disney store, and the boots were from Old Navy. The Toy Story fabric for the bandanna came from Walmart.


2007 - This wasn't necessarily for Halloween. It was just a fun dress up shirt to wear anytime. Again, it was just a plain yellow tee that I drew stripes onto. The knit "cow print" (if you look carefully you'll discover it looks more like dalmatian print) vest was sewn right onto it, along with the big white buttons.


2007 - Want to know how to get your kid attention at Disneyland? Dress him up like his favorite character. Of course there are crowds of little girls in princess costumes, but it's less common to see boys dressed up. My husband would say there's a reason for that. But I'll ignore that hypothetical comment and keep gushing. Isn't this picture the cutest thing?



These are "professional" pictures a Disneyland photographer took.

2 comments:

  1. I made a Woody Costume for my three year old this year too! I wish I had read your post first though...I used fabric paint to make the red lines..a sharpie would have saved a lot of time! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, the Sharpies were great: quick and not too messy. The fabric paint would probably go farther, though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...