Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cowboy Quilt in the Works

Let me introduce you to an unfinished project that's been hanging around my house for almost a year. It's a cowboy quilt that my oldest son and I have been making. It has large squares embroidered with my his cowboy drawings (that he did last year) that will be sprinkled amongst the smaller squares. I do love all the various cowboy fabric.



Here's Monkey One laying out the triangle pieces that will eventually go around the edge of the diamonds.



The embroidered muslin squares are my favorite part of the quilt. I love the drawings my little artist made. (I still need to clean and iron these, in case you were wondering)



I did most of the embroidery, but as you can see I had some help! The areas he did are so sweet and special to me. I'm glad his stitches are not as uniform as mine because they will always be recognizable as his.



Here are the embroidery portraits of my little cowboys. There will be another one of my husband and me, but it's still in the embroidery hoop right now.



I originally intended the quilt to be queen size, but I'm considering splitting it into two smaller quilts. That way there will be one for each of my boys and I won't have to try to quilt such a large area. How on earth do people quilt a queen size blanket, anyway?

12 comments:

  1. How did you do the embroidery portraits! What a special quilt this will be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! This is the sweetest, cutest quilt I have ever seen. I have 2 little cowboys of my own.. This is just incredible! I love, love, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Brittany. That really is so cool!! I love the embroidery detail and drawings that make the quilt have a lot more meaning. I think you should do two smaller quilts so they both can have one! I hope that doesn't mean more work for you though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treasure! I am in love with the idea of using your son's drawings and the embroidered portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. Amazing. Truly something that they will cherish forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word!!! Unbelievable! That's pretty much all I have to say about that! That is so amazing! I especially love the embroidery work you did of the two boys. That's awesome! Good work Brittany! I really am going to have to take lessons from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing Brittany! I can't believe the steady stream of beautiful projects you produce. I love that the boys are always so involved. You are sooo talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Brittany! Thanks for the comment on my blog, and thanks for telling me how you did the embroidery portraits... I'm going to have to try that sometime!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the comments, everyone! Marybeth asked how I did the embroidery portraits. Here's what I did:

    1. I traced/drew a simple line drawing on paper from the original photos (and made whatever changes I wanted)
    2. Then I traced taped the drawing to a window, then the muslin square on top so the light would show through.
    3. I used a Crayola washable marker (though I don't know if that's the best choice) to lightly trace the stitch lines onto the fabric.
    4. I used a back stitch over the drawn lines to embroider the picture.

    Maybe I'll make this into a full tutorial some time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those embroidery portraits are so sweet and I love his art being included on the quilt too. What a fantastic project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The embroidered portraits are awesome! I'm so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We’d love to feature an original creation from your site on our blog www.sewittome.blogspot.com.

    But first we need your permission!

    We post sewing creations almost every day, but we also have fun themed days. Visit our blog to view the list in our sidebar.

    If you have an idea of which creation(s) you would like us to feature, please let us know.

    We are looking forward to hearing back from you and we are on pins and needles until then:)

    Nessa & Eva
    Sew It To Me Duo
    http://sewittome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...